Tuesday, July 17, 2007

'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony this life

The Koz
Koz is sleeping soundly next to me as I write this. My bubba has had a tough couple of days. His lack of energy, poor eating habits and NASTY poops led us to decide, on Sunday, that he should get a scope done on his colon. We have been dealing with, and treating, these symptoms, for so long it is about time that we get a diagnosis. So, on Sunday we left him at the River Animal Hospital, expecting the procedure to happen Monday morning and we would pick him up Monday afternoon. Well, the internal medicine specialist, whom I have gotten to know well and really like, was not able to fit the procedure into her schedule until late Monday evening and she wanted Koz to spend another night, after the procedure, to be observed. I talked to the vet when I picked Koz up today at noon and she said that she could see in the scope that his small intestine and colon are very inflamed. Right now there are no answers beyond that, we have to wait until the biopsy results come back. He seems very happy to be home and has only woken up a couple of times.

The Knee

I never thought that I would walk out of the doctor's office with too many answers. Basically the MRI showed a tear in my medial meniscus, but the person (is that a radiologist?) who read it was not sure how severe. He also noted that my patella tendon had wear to it too and there is bono on bone action going on there. My Doc felt that this had more to do with overuse than an injury. He also noted that I have a lot of scar tissue from where the original meniscus surgery was done. From here it got pretty crazy. Basically, I have a decision to make. Do I want to keep running and have a scope done? Do I want to quit running and see if my symptoms improve? Do I want to get the scope and quit running to prolong the health of my knee? The Doc wants me to go for a run today or tomorrow and see how it goes; if there is pain, how much pain there is, where there is pain....and get back to him. I have no idea where we really left it. I learned an important lesson though, I am not going into that office again without someone else with me...At this point, I guess I will go for a run tomorrow and see how it goes!

Take Care
Molly

No change, I can't change, I can't change, I can't change,
but I'm here in my mold,
I am here with my mold
And I'm a million different people from one day to the next
I can't change my mold, no, no, no, no, no (The Verve)

9 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Sometimes people forget that our pups can go through just as much crap as humans. I hope all goes well with Koz.

And, I am sorry to hear about the knee. I am praying that it is just a little minor. Maybe after your run tomorrow, decide to take a week or two off... see how it goes. Just do some walking or other cross training.

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Holy Smokes! You've got a lot going on.

Hope Koz is okay. inflamed intestine and colon doesn't sound good. :(

Boy, you do have some decisions regarding that knee.

Randy said...

Molly, thanks for stopping by and your input on the Beasts.

I hate to hear about your knee, perhaps you need another opinion. Is it really safe to run on it again to see where the pain is? I thought that an MRI should be able to give more information that would not have to include you running more and risking additional injury to just find out more about the pain.

I too hope that Koz will be getting better.

Keep coming back.

Matt said...

That's a big decision. The word scope kinda scares me. Sounds like you've been dealing with some serious pain. "Bone on bone"! Best of luck.

Dying Water Buffalo said...

Koz is very cute :) Here's hoping he gets feeling better soon.

Best of luck figuring out what to do about your knee!

Andra Sue said...

Koz has my most heartfelt wishes for getting better soon.

And I'm sorry to hear about your knee...the only advice I can give you there is just not to go the "ignore it and maybe it will go away" route. Sounds like you're not anyway. :)

Cynthia Blue said...

I hope they figure out what's wrong with poor Koz. I hate it when we can't figure out what's wrong. And the problem with your knee sucks, I'm sure you'll make the best choice for yourself.

Allez said...

Sorry about your baby, I hope Koz feels better soon! Don't know what to say about the knee. That's a tough one. In the meantime, swim a lot and ride a bike (if the dr says its ok)!

JohnnyTri said...

this is very much a personal decision and you must decide based on what you want to do on your athletic side.

Some will say change activities, others get it scoped..fixed..rehab..and get back out there cuz they dont want to change. and even others will take time off and see how it goes.

Very hard decision to make and prayers will be with you and of course Koz to get better.

rockon`