Friday, May 25, 2007

1 Peter 5: 7-10

Yesterday was a good day...

got up feeling good

lots going on at work, kept me busy

had a really good strength training class

hung out with my neighbors last night and enjoyed their new screened in porch



Today, well...not so much

alarm did not go off and I got up late...routine already out of whack - hate that

walking Koz after his bfast and found out that our neighbor's car was broken into and an $800 stereo system stolen...Thursday morning our other neighbor's (with the new screened in porch) left their cars unlocked and found that their cars had been gone through but thought that nothing was taken....she calls this morning to say that she realized her nice, digital camera WAS taken Wednesday night! Two major break ins in two days.

On the way to my parent's, to drop Kozmo off for a play date with Percy, Scott's brother calls to tell me that the mother of a childhood friend of mine had passed. She struggled her entire life with mental illness ans substance abuse....still on the phone with S's brother (who ref's football with my friend) I get to my parent's and Percy bolts out of the front door, through me, I fall on my butt and my brother in law has to listen to my yelling and cussing. My Mom is on the phone the dogs are going crazy, I am cranky and just want to leave. After telling Mom about the break-ins I head out.

I am at work for thirty minutes and a good friend of mine (G) calls to tell me that his son (D) was found dead this morning. D had a tough life and after a near fatal car accident, in which he sustained a major head injury, he became hooked on drugs. G had been working to get D into a specialized rehab for patients with brain injuries. They found out recently that D had gotten into a specialized state run program and, in the mean time, D had been living with G's mother and had been clean for two months. Yesterday was D's birthday and G thinks that one of his friends gave him "something" and he accidentally overdosed. I have never taken a phone call like that before...to hear the pain in the voice of a friend and know that there is nothing, beyond praying, that you can do.

So, it is now 12:19 and I am already having one of those days that makes you want to curl up and crawl away...

SO, I will do the only thing I know to do...

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go
(Joshua 1:9)

The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit
(Ps 34.18)

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)

Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in your faith. . . . And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you. (1 Peter 5: 7-10)

1 comment:

Andra Sue said...

Your weekend is bound to improve. Keep your head up, girlie!